The problem with most commercial drain cleaners is that they include harsh chemical that may unclog your drain but they also corrode your pipes and are not environmentally friendly.
In addition to being hard on your pipes ,in the Greater Victoria area, we are all aware that what we put in our drains is flushed out to the ocean.
A little regular maintenance with natural products you already have in your kitchen will help prevent a clogged drain.
Prevent a clogged sink or tub drain
- Avoid putting grease and/or oil in your sink. Scrape these into a container to dispose of in the garbage once they solidify.
- Use your sink strainer to stop solids from going down the drain.
- Set up a regular preventative monthly maintenance schedule
Natural drain cleaning treatments.
Remember that any natural products used to clear and clogged drain will take longer than a commercial product and may need to be used more than 1 time to work their magic. Before implementing any of these fixes remove any solids you can see in the drain with rubber gloves by hand or using tweezers. It’s not a good idea to put long thin items down the drain hoping to break up the clog as it’s easy to drop them in, adding to the problem.
- Baking soda and vinegar – Empty the water from your sink or wait until it drains. Sprinkle 1 cup of baking soda down the drain; pour 2 cups of boiling water in. Wait 2 minutes. Sometimes the chemical change that occurs when the boiling water hits the baking soda is enough to clear the clog. Wait a few minutes to see it is worked and if not add 1 cup of vinegar. Watch it bubble up. Wait until the bubbling action has stopped and run more hot or boiling water down the drain.
- Put 1/4 c salt, 1/4 c Borax and 1/2c vinegar down the drain and then pour boiling water down.
- Boiling water is sometimes all that it takes to clear a drain, especially if you have a habit of getting rid of fats down the drain. If boiling water is enough to clear it then I recommend using the baking soda and vinegar fix to clean the sides of the drain as well.
- Add some lemon juice to any of the above treatments to have clean smelling drains.
If none of the above fixes work and a small kitchen drain plunger did not provide a solution either then your drain may require snaking or another solution that requires a professional. Find more information on clogged drains.